Monday, February 3, 2014

Crab Beignets

I made these for my Superbowl party and everyone seemed to love them! I know I did.


Ingredients

½ cup of flour (I used whole wheat flour)
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 extra large egg
2/3 cup of milk 
½ teaspoon of granulated garlic (I used minced garlic)
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/3 cup of green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup of yellow or red bell pepper, finely chopped (I omitted the peppers)
1 to 1 ½ cup of crab meat (I used 2 full cans of crab meat)
Canola oil

Directions

1. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, egg, milk, garlic and cayenne in a mixing bowl. The batter should be thick and sticky
2. Stir in the onions, peppers and crab meat. Do not over-mix
3. Heat Canola oil in a deep fry pan until very hot
4. When the oil is hot, gather a portion of the finished batter with a spoon (I scooped it out with a spoon and then formed small balls--about the size of a golf ball) and drop it into the oil
5. Cook until the beignets are golden to medium brown. (Make sure to turn them in order for them to brown evenly.)
6. When the beignets are fully cooked, remove them from the oil with a spoon and place them on a plate or tray lined with paper towels. (The paper towels will absorb the excess oil.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment