Friday, August 8, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup (Dairy free)

This was good, but it didn't really come out as a soup because I think I used too much chicken. Next time instead of using 3 chicken breasts, I'm only going to use 2. Anyway, it was delicious.

Ingredients

3 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I omitted this)
1 can crushed tomatoes (The 15 oz. can but I would use a little more next time)
Skinless chicken breasts
3 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of chopped white onion
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish (I used dairy free)
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons of oregano
1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Whole wheat penne pasta
Fresh basil, for garnish

Instructions

1. In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, cheese, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes
2. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours (I did low)
3. Transfer chicken breasts onto cutting board and coarsely shred then return to slow cooker
4. Stir in pasta and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente
5. Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil 

No comments:

Post a Comment