Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Rigatoni with Vodka Sauce (Dairy free and gluten free)

This was my first time making (or even trying) a vodka sauce that was both dairy free and gluten free. It was delicious. You cannot tell that it is dairy free--my husband's words, not even mine. I was very impressed with myself because I took a dairy recipe and made it dairy free on my own. I used rigatoni made from quinoa. I will definitely be making this again for my Italian family.


Ingredients

4 Tbs. of vegan butter
1 cup of coconut milk (I used the canned coconut milk--and I used more than a cup)--Make sure you refrigerate the coconut milk for at least an hour before using
1/4 cup of tomato paste (I used about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cups plus 2 Tbs. vodka
Fresh basil
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Quinoa rigatoni
Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat
2. In a large fry pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter then add the coconut milk (do not use the top thick layer of the coconut milk) 
3. In a small bowl, dissolve the tomato paste in the vodka then stir into the milk mixture
4. Cook until most of the alcohol has evaporated and the sauce is thick 
5. Meanwhile, add the 2 Tbs. salt to the boiling water and add the pasta 
6. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, according to the package instructions 
7. Drain the pasta but reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water
8. Add the pasta to the sauce and warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors
9. Add the basil and red pepper and combine
10. Add as much of the reserved cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce 

No comments:

Post a Comment