Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

I have never had shepherd's pie before because traditionally it is made with beef and lamb covered in mashed potatoes. I was willing to give it a try if my husband found a recipe that I could substitute turkey for the meat and sweet potatoes for the white potatoes. And he found one! It's a crock pot recipe and it turned out really well. I enjoyed it!

Ingredients

3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (I used a bit less)
1 lb. lamb, beef or turkey (I used turkey)
2 cups of frozen peas (You can use any frozen vegetables you want, like celery, corn, carrots, etc.)
1 onion (I used 1/2 an onion)
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon of herbs de provence
1/2 cup of beef broth (I used vegetable broth)


Directions

1. Brown the meat on the stove with the onions, adding the garlic and the herbs towards the end
2. Plop the meat mixture in the crock pot and stir in the frozen vegetables and mix well

3. Pour the broth over the mixture
4. Using a rubber spatula or a large spoon, spread the mashed sweet potatoes over the top of the meat
5. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours
6. Turn the crock pot to HIGH and take off the lid and let sit for 30 more minutes to make the sweet potatoes crusty 



No comments:

Post a Comment